Murchison Heritage Centre

Murchison Heritage Centre

4 Stevenson Street, Murchison, VIC, 3610, Australia,
Shepparton VIC 3630

Our aim is to promote, preserve, and present authentic records relating to the history of the area. The varied and surprising history of the district is represented in our growing collection of documents and historical items housed in the Heritage Centre in Stevenson Street.

Murchison is the oldest European settlement on the lower Goulburn Valley. Its recorded history began in 1838 when the first of many pastoralists Hawden and Bonney, traversed the site on their epic cattle droving journey to Adelaide. Prior to this, the land had been occupied for ages by the Ngurai-illum tribe of Aboriginals. In an attempt to avoid conflict between the two races of people an Aboriginal Protectorate was set up. The system had failed by 1854, when the township was surveyed and named.

A reliable river punt crossing, then the first town bridge built in 1871 ensured the future growth of the town. Construction of the Trust pumping site near the town in 1885 and later the Goulburn Weir saw the beginning of irrigation. Many civic-minded residents worked to build a vibrant community in the ensuing years and many of its son's left for active service in the World Wars. During World War 2 the town serviced nearby Prison Camps.

Murchison gained notoriety in 1969 when an ancient meteorite now known as the Murchison Meteorite, fell on the town. Many substantial facilities for sporting and cultural pursuits have been developed in the town through the years due to the efforts of dedicated and community minded residents. Today, Murchison, although small with a population of 700 continues to be a desirable residential town with a strong community spirit.

Please contact Kay (03) 5826 2518 or Lyndon 0438 528 542 to make an appointment. For group bookings contact Janet Clarke (03) 5826 2363, send email or visit the Murchison HIstorical Society Website.

Directions: Located at 4 Stevenson Street which is the main street of Murchison, in the Riverside Gardens near the intersection of Impey St.
Accredited Tourism Information Centre

Greater Shepparton Visitor Centre

The Visitor Centre, located at 33 Nixon Street, Shepparton, is your first stop for information on things to see and do and where to stay while in Greater Shepparton. Providing quality information and brochures on accommodation, attractions, events and activities, the friendly staff and volunteers have the expert knowledge to make your stay in the region a memorable one.

Open: 9.00am to 5.00pm everyday except Christmas Day.
Telephone Enquiries: 1800 808 839 (Toll-free within Australia) or +61-3-5832 9330 (outside Australia)

Learn more about the Visitor Centre